If the osteoarthritis of the joint is not yet advanced, it can be treated conservatively with the aid of special shoe inserts and medications for pain and for strengthening the cartilage, as well as weight loss. However, these methods will merely reduce the pain caused by the osteoarthritis and slow the cartilage degeneration. Osteoarthritis itself cannot be stopped or cured.
- Anti-inflammatory medications and painkillers
- Medications to strengthen the cartilage
- Injection of lubricants and anti-inflammatory medications into the joint
- Aids such as canes, shoe inserts, orthopaedic shoes
- Physiotherapy, changes in lifestyle including sports, managing obesity, diet, etc.